Thursday, 19 September 2013

Follow?

I am currently in the middle of doing my homework. As I was writing out an answer, a revelation came to me. We need to follow Jesus as Christians. Okay - obviously we know this. But what does it mean to follow? Because let's be honest, most of us, including me, say we follow Jesus but then struggle to do so.

I can't tell you how much I like to put other things before God. I am in the place where I am deciding whether I should watch TV anymore. In and of itself, TV isn't wrong. But really, what a waste of time. Even if the show is clean, let's say it is 60 minutes long. That's 60 minutes of turning your brain off of the real world and engaging in nothingness. That's 60 minutes I could of been seeking after God. I get jealous (wrong I know), of people who are so in love with God. All they want to do is spend time with God. When Jace naps, I have the option of going on the internet or spending time with God. Typically I choose the internet. What a waste of time. I realize I'm coming off as strongly opinionated. That's fine. I'm not trying to make anybody feel bad. I'm just ranting that the majority of us who say we're Christian are not following Jesus.

If we're supposed to follow Jesus, where did he go?

Well for starters, he came to earth to serve others.

He went to the cross when he didn't need to.

He preached the kingdom and didn't care what people thought of him

He commanded illness to leave people and saw them healed

He cast out demons.

He got up early to pray and spend time with the Father.

He performed miracles.

He fasted.

His WHOLE LIFE was devoted to doing the will of God.

As the church, we need to RISE UP. When I have free time, I should be on my face before the King. He deserves our everything. Please consider, you say you follow Jesus, but do you? Because following Jesus means you go where he goes and where he went was very difficult. It means dying to yourself daily. It means considering others better than yourself. It means giving up desires like TV in order to follow God more. Just consider. I've been convicted today and I know things need to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment