Thursday, 7 February 2013

Mediocre?

There is an overarching theme that I see in my previous blogs. I always feel compelled to write about apathy in North American Christians. I'm telling you that I can name 10 MAYBE 15 people who I've met in my life who are passionately in love with God. That's pretty sad considering I've met hundreds of Christians. I've grown up in church and have attended a few different churches. I've been to Christian camp. I went to a Christian high school. I have attended three Bible schools. I've met Christians through other Christians. Hundreds of Christians have I met. How many of us are passionate about God. Probably 15. Myself NOT included. Do I love God, yes. But does my life revolve around God all the time? No.

I continually keep thinking that I just need to work harder, when this is not the case. Ultimately I just need to encounter God and how could I not be changed?

One of my favourite songs is 'Holy' by Jesus culture. The first three lines are so true:

Just one look on Your face
Just one glance of your eyes
My whole world is changed

When I have REALLY encountered God....I am a different person than normal. I'm joyful all the time. I'm willing to die for God. I submit my dreams and plans to God. I am willing to do whatever the case. I constantly pray for people and yearn for them to know God. I want to praise God and sing and dance and be in His presence. But this is not the case every day.

 My typical day is battling between spending time with God (which ends up being mediocre at best) or watching TV or going on the internet (assuming Jace is napping).

“A moderated religion is as good for us as no religion at all—and more amusing.” 
― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

I don't want the spirit of religion. I want the Holy Spirit. I don't want to 'spend time with God' if it is mediocre. Because then it can't be actually spending time with God....because nothing can be mediocre with God. If you meet with God and experience Him and have relationship with Him...NOTHING is mediocre about that.

The rest of 'Holy' by Jesus Culture is my prayer today:


Oh I seek only to see Your face
I don’t wanna go anywhere without You God
Without Your presence
Oh let me see Your face
The beauty of Your holiness God
Take me into the holy place

And only one word comes to mind
There’s only one word to describe

Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty

There is no one like You
You are Holy
Holy


No comments:

Post a Comment