Wednesday, 9 October 2013

This GIANT light of mine....

Mark 4: 21-25

He said to them, “Do you bring in a lamp to put it under a bowl or a bed? Instead, don’t you put it on its stand? For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open. If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear.” “Consider carefully what you hear,” he continued. “With the measure you use, it will be measured to you—and even more.  Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.”

AHHH! I was reading these verses yesterday and was so confused by the second half. The first half makes sense. From reading the Bible, I know Jesus is light and therefore I am meant to 'show him off' to the world. Got it. I also understand that we can't hide our sins and God will bring to the light all of our darkness. Understand that. But what is this business about...

 If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear.” “Consider carefully what you hear,” he continued. “With the measure you use, it will be measured to you—and even more.  Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.”

Well maybe it is obvious to some people, but I didn't get it. So I asked Nathan and I read some commentaries online. This is what I get from it.

If anyone has ears to hear, let them hear.” “Consider carefully what you hear,”

Well obviously we all have ears. Most of us aren't deaf. But Jesus is talking about Spiritual ears. If you want to know truth - LISTEN UP! God will tell you. But if you're not interested, you won't hear. Plain and simple. Consider carefully what you hear.....I suppose this means that we can listen to the world or Jesus. If Jesus is the light then we should be listening to him and not the darkness. This is what I take from this verse. We need to consider what we hear from Jesus and decide whether we believe Him or not. 

“With the measure you use, it will be measured to you—and even more.  Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them.”

This is where I was really getting stuck. What does Jesus mean? I read on a commentary this:

 Added knowledge brings added responsibility. Instead of being proud about what we know, we need to be humbled by the responsibility that this knowledge has brought us. God's truth was meant to be practiced and proclaimed. Not only must we proclaim what God has given to us, but we must put it to work in our own lives. (http://www.bereanbiblechurch.org/transcripts/mark/4_21-25.htm) 

The author goes on to say that as Christians we have responsibility. We MUST walk out what Jesus says OR what we do have will be taken away from us. It's true!!! Read Mark 4:21-26 again!! Here is what I gather quickly from the verses:

  1. Jesus is light and you should put him on display for all
  2. Because God is light, everything hidden (sins) will eventually be brought to light
  3. If you have spiritual ears and want to hear - listen up!
  4. Listen to what you are hearing. Is it from God or others??
  5. If you listen to God and act it out, he'll give you more. If you listen but don't walk it out - what you have will be taken away.
I don't know about you but I know for myself that what I DO have in God I don't want taken from me. If I want more, I need to pursue more. If I don't care, then he'll take it away anyway. 

This is what I gather from these verses. Maybe I am reading into it wrong, but this is what I have for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment