Because the US campaign is really long, it is hard not to take notice even though I'm Canadian. I've heard many things, looked into many things and come to my own conclusions. But my conclusions are cynical and judgmental. I find myself making statements such as "Either way the States are screwed" or laughing at posts about when the US laughed at us for having Rob Ford in power but then below the caption is a picture of Trump and Hilary. The reality of my laughter and the reality of my statements are very sad. Because this isn't the heart of Jesus. He wept over Jerusalem for not knowing the truth. Why am I not weeping for Canada and the States? Instead of judging my own government for their evil or judging the States for theirs, why am I not on my knees daily crying out for change and salvation? Why can't we have a Prime Minister who loves Jesus and daily goes to God for help? We could! It doesn't have to be somebody else, it can be Justin Trudeau! He could know God. He could love God. He could run this country under God's rule. Trump and Hilary could love God. They could run the US under God's rule. It doesn't have to be somebody else.
My amazing humble, God loving, God fearing, searching for more and more friend Jill is such an awesome example to me. I went on FB yesterday and saw a picture of her and her friend in the capital of the States. I remembered that they went to the US yesterday to attend a prayer rally for change in the States. They weren't there to protest. They weren't there to cause a stir. They were there with their brothers and sisters in Christ crying out to God for the US to be changed for the better. That God would reset this generation. They are there worshiping God. She;s not on FB making fun of the political leaders in the running, she not making judgmental claims about them, she is simply crying out to God for change. It's not even her own country and she is crying out for them. Why? Because she loves them. Because she loves God. Because she knows the States could be better.
In my situation I can't up and leave and go to prayer rallies all the time. I've got a husband who works, 2 young kids who I stay home with and a house to manage. However, that is no excuse to not love and pray for our governments. I don't have to be at a rally to pray for the US or Canada. I can get up early and do it. I may be 1 person, but God can use 1 person.
This morning I read some things in the Bible fitting to my post. Lets be humble. Lets not be judgmental. Lets pray for our leaders. Lets follow Jesus if we call ourselves Jesus followers. I realize government should be held accountable. I don't know the proper way about doing this. I don't think posting on FB is the way. But I don't know the way. So until I know how to help keep our government accountable, I will just pray for them. Here is what I read in the Bible:
Matthew 5:3-11 -
He said:
He said:
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad,because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Luke 6:27-36 -
Love for Enemies
27 “But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29 If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn to them the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt from them. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
32 “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full.35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
Let us love our government, pray for them, weep for them and help them. Whether they need to be held accountable for their actions, whether they are trying to lead in a way totally against what God desires, we need to love them and pray for their salvation. Get on your knees, not on FB.
I love how you share your convictions Julie. I am also convicted by your words, and this is a good thing. I believe your heart for Jesus is helping many of us grow closer to him also, humbling us, and to check our own hearts.
ReplyDeleteThank you Julie