Tuesday, 5 July 2016

Focus?

Where is your focus lately? What do you think about the most? Honestly, I've been thinking a lot lately of how to shed a few pounds. I look in the mirror a lot and wonder how to get rid of the extra weight. Or I think about food...constantly. Or what exercises to do. I also think about our upcoming move. How can I get ahead of packing. How can I clean ahead of time. How will it work on the day we move? Will we make friends in the new city. I will miss a lot of people in my current city. My focus is so focused on superficial things, that I am not looking at God and His big picture. 

Of course I need to be healthy and take care of the body God gave me. But I've been obsessing. That's not His plan for me. To make my health an idol is not good. I've also been so focused on our move that I am not looking at the here and now. Who is hurting around me? Who can I love on? Who can I be a shoulder to cry on. Who can I be Jesus' hands and feet to?

If you read or watch the news, you know so many sad things are happening in our world, everywhere. I just saw a short video of a car bombing in Baghdad. Are we so numb it doesn't affect us anymore? Well for me, it hasn't always. It's the other side of the world, I didn't see it happen, out of sight, out of mind. But what got me this time was the line "125 dead, 200 wounded, officials say most were children".  Adult or child, this is a devastating event. But when I think of my two children, ages 1 and 3, I can't fathom them living in this. Bombings. 

Who cares if I have a few pounds to lose. Who cares if I move in a month. Who cares about anything when people are dying and hurting and needing Jesus. They need love. Everybody. Everybody needs love. Terrorists need love. Victims need love. Your neighbour needs love. Your teacher or classmates need love. Your family needs love. Your boss and coworkers. The person at the bus stop needs love. The person behind in the line at the grocery store needs love. So does the cashier. 

What are we doing if we're so focused on ourselves and not the big picture. Not on God? We're wasting time and not doing what really matters. Focus. What and who needs our focus?


Matthew 6: 21 - For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 4:19 - And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Julie! I have been on the same thought process, knowing I need focus but then loosing that knowledge as the day goes by.

    ReplyDelete