Monday, 18 August 2014

AUGUST 18, 2014 - DAY 69 (Treasure)

I think I've done a reasonable job over the past however many years of being generous. I have had a sponsor child for 10 years, I've tithed for a very long time, I very rarely don't buy a homeless person a meal when they ask and I often give to charities. But I know I tend to give to a 'limit' and then I get uncomfortable. We have so much money each month set aside specifically to give away. It may be to a friend in need. It may be to buy a homeless person supper, or it could be to support a friend going on a mission trip. Well a few months ago we had already spent all of that and the rest of our budget was pretty tight. Nathan met a few homeless people and a couple needed a new tent. This was over $100. I didn't say no to Nathan but I felt uncomfortable. How will we pay for our bills I wondered? But God revealed to me that I'm only willing to give within my means and past that I don't want to anymore. What's wrong with me?? These people are HOMELESS and we were buying them a TENT! It's not like i was paying $250000 for a mortgage. It was a $130 tent or whatever. I can get over myself. Anyway, that was a good lesson for me. That I need to be willing to give beyond what I've put aside. That generosity runs beyond comfortable.

So I had this new mindset and I think God stretched me. This time my money lesson was sort of about giving but more so about trusting. Nathan is only working part time and I'm not working. Money is pretty tight. We stick to our budget 99% of the time and do our best not to go out often. Although this month we've gone out more than usual....

ANYWAY, our washing machine/dryer recently started to leak. And the lint trap has a crack in it. And to be honest, although we could maybe rip it apart and try to fix it, it's so old that it likely needs to be replaced. At MINIMUM this will cost $800. But we're looking more at $1200 + tax. Well we have the money...and enough money for this months bills and next. But what happens if Nathan doesn't get work between now and the end of September. How will we pay for October? I don't know. But the reality is that I need to focus on God and trust him. 


Luke 12: 22-34
Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24 Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life[b]? 26 Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
27 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! 29 And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30 For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.
32 “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I want to make sure my treasure is in Heaven and not on earth. Sometimes this is difficult when things break and will cost lots of money. It'd be SO much easier to save up for things like this. But I know God has specifically asked Nathan and I to just give. So we do. We don't get to save for retirement. We don't get to save for the future. If something breaks, he has to come up with the money. In the meantime, we give. We are responsible and pay for our monthly bills, but we always have to give. So we do. This leads me to be uncomfortable sometimes, but God always gently reminds me the trust him and focus on helping others. It's tough! So today's sermon was a good reminder that my treasure needs to be in 
Heaven and my focus on God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment