Today's hour felt like a total flop. We were out having a family day at the zoo today and since it's been such a long day, I really should of got up early to do my hour....but I didn't. So I spent an hour in the car trying to do 'my hour'. With a chatty kid in the back it's hard to do. Needless to say.....it wasn't an intimate hour with the Lord.
However I did spend much of the time thinking of questions. For instance, why is it easy for me to feed a homeless person (a command of Jesus) and not easy to pray over a stranger who is in obvious need of a physical healing? (also a command of Jesus - "heal the sick") I think part of it is the homeless person NEEDS food. A person with a broken foot doesn't NEED their foot healed. Also, I KNOW there are results coming if I approach the homeless person. I know if they say they need food that I will go get them food. But for a person in a wheelchair, I can't guarantee that if I pray they will be healed. So my pride gets in the way and I just don't approach them. But both people are in need of a touch from God. Both people need to hear the Gospel (unless of course they already know Jesus). Both people deserve love and compassion. So why do I shy away from one opportunity and rise to the other? Pride. I'm afraid of looking stupid with the person who needs prayer. Or I'm afraid of insulting them. How do you start a conversation with a stranger randomly about their obvious physical sickness/ailment without insulting them? I don't know. Obviously fear and pride are both not from the Lord.
Anyway, this was one of the questions that came to mind and God essentially said, well why is one more important than the other....and I had to think. Physical needs trump physical wants (Food is needed...healing is not) - however, both people need to encounter God and therefore they are on an even field.
I don't think just thinking about these things will change me. I doubt in public I'll suddenly start praying for the sick. But I sure wish I would. I need God to transform me. Sometimes it is so difficult to follow his commands.....why can't I just rise to the occasion?
No comments:
Post a Comment