Luke 8:4-15
4 While a large crowd was gathering and people were coming to Jesus from town after town, he told this parable: 5 “A farmer went out to sow his seed. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path; it was trampled on, and the birds ate it up. 6 Some fell on rocky ground, and when it came up, the plants withered because they had no moisture. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up with it and choked the plants.8 Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown.”
When he said this, he called out, “Whoever has ears to hear, let them hear.”
9 His disciples asked him what this parable meant. 10 He said, “The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that,
11 “This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. 13 Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. 14 The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. 15 But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.
So I was considering where my seeds have fallen.
SEEDS ON THE PATH
Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved.
I don't believe this is me. Perhaps there may be the rare time I hear a new teaching and this happens....but overall I would say this isn't me.
SEEDS IN THE ROCKS
Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away.
This is definitely me to an extent. I may hear a teaching and think it is SO great (like Jesus heals people still today) but then when it is time for me to act on this teaching...like praying for a stranger, I don't do it. When I am tested, I've fallen away. So this is not me with overall Christianity and the teaching of the Bible (especially the Gospel) BUT it is with me some teachings for sure.
SEEDS IN THE THORNS
The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature.
I think this is also me to an extent. Again, not in terms of the Gospel but in terms of some teachings of the Bible. So I trust God to take care of us financially when times get tough....but when times DO get tight...I start to worry. So my faith suddenly waivers were tested. I worry when things get tight. So I'd say this is me when it comes to money and trusting God to take care of me. I don't think things of this world have much hold on me. I rarely shop and don't need the latest gadgets. So that part is not me.
SEEDS ON THE GOOD SOIL
But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.
I HOPE this is me. I want a noble and good heart. I know there is still wicked in there sometimes but overall I think I want what God wants. I hope I am confessing and asking for help and pressing in. I want to retain the word AND persevere. By doing so I will produce a crop. But is there fruit to go along with me life? I don't always know.
Sometimes I struggle though because I don't know what it means exactly to have a relationship with God. Am I still super religious? Do I do what the Bible tells me to do because I think I should or because I love God. I don't want to be religious. I want a REAL relationship with God. I want to walk and talk with Him. I want to HEAR him more and know his heart more. I guess this is a journey I am figuring out.
No comments:
Post a Comment