Tonight I had some really good reminders from the Lord. The easiest way to put it is that God needs to be first. Of course I know this, but do I actually live it out?
Time and time again God has asked me the question "If I asked you to give up your husband or son like Abraham did with Isaac, could you do it?" and the answer has always been "I don't think so." Now I'm not saying God is going to ask me to physically sacrifice my family. I know this. But metaphorically, could I do it? I really don't think I could. Another way to put it, the night before I left for China, I thought about how I'd be smuggling Bibles into China. Was this going to be dangerous? Would the mission trip leaders put our lives at risk? Could we go to jail? I didn't know the answer at the time. For the longest time, it excited me. But the night before I left, when I held my son in my arms before bed, I wept. What if I went to jail in China and didn't come back for years. I wouldn't get to see Jace grow up. Could I do it? Well I got on the plane and I did smuggle Bibles but I learned beforehand that it wasn't unsafe. So that made the ability to do it much easier. But God again asked me the night before I left "Do you love me more?" And I wasn't so sure. I didn't want to go to jail. I didn't want to die. I wanted to go, smuggle Bibles and come home SAFE. I loved the comfort of safety and the ability to be with my family more than I loved doing what God asked.
Is God first in your life? In easier ways, are you willing to give up something you love that he is asking you to give up? Perhaps it's an addiction or a TV show or certain music. Maybe you need to change habits or who you hang out with. Or on a more difficult level, would you die for Jesus? Would you go to jail for him? Would be risk your life if he asked you to do a dangerous mission?
Luke 14:33 -
In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples.
Hebrews 12:1-3 -
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame,and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Luke 14:27 - And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple.
I think on some level we all struggle with this. Can we recklossly abandon ourselves to him? Because we need to count the cost and what it means to FOLLOW Jesus. Following means we DO what he did. So are we sharing the gospel with our loved ones and neighbours and co-workers? Are we dying to ourselves? Are we apologizing when we're in the wrong? Are we forgiving others? Do we get angry and explode on others? Do we love others? Do we say things we shouldn't or do things and ignore what the Bible says? All I know is that God needs to be first and following him is not easy.
No comments:
Post a Comment