Friday, 22 August 2014

AUGUST 21, 2014 - DAY 72 (Prayer)

As I read through Luke I realize how often Jesus goes away to pray. One time he even spent all night praying before choosing his 12 disciples. I assume in this instance he was praying for direction on which disciples to choose as his specific small group.

But what about the other times? When the verses don't say what Jesus was praying about....I wonder what he was praying about? Was he just worshipping the Father? Was he asking for help? Did Jesus ever have to ask for help? He obviously wasn't confessing sin as he was sinless. Maybe learning what the Father wanted him to do? I don't know.

I feel like when I pray I'm often confessing sin and asking for help. I used to pray more for other people but felt bad because all I would do in prayer is ask God for help. Worshipping him is not very natural for me and this made me sad. When I would worship in prayer, most times it was because I felt like I should instead of want to. I'd still say things I believed to be true, but it felt awkward to do it. So I sort of pulled back on prayer because I don't want to treat God like a genie.

UGH praying is something I am learning. Does it matter how much I pray for others versus how much I worship? Are my prayers ever selfish? Am I forgetting who God is through all of it?

Sigh. So the other day I read the 'Lord's prayer'. Maybe I need to start back at the very beginning. I need to learn to pray. To REALLY pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment