Sunday, 24 August 2014

AUGUST 24, 2014 - DAY 75 (Practice)

Today I was reading in Luke 9. I've read these verses many times but today something was new to me. I love when that happens. The Holy Spirit can make verses fresh - so good. 


So what was new was the fact of looking at the disciples as apprentices. Prior to this experience, the disciples went with Jesus everywhere and watched what he did. They simply watched. Now he gave them the power and authority to do it too. They were practising what he taught them. Eventually Jesus would die and rise again and go to Heaven and they'd be 'on their own'. Not actually because they get the Holy Spirit, BUT they wouldn't have Jesus physically there with them.

At what point do I stop watching Jesus (reading the Bible) and go out and do? I realize that I should be reading (watching) AND doing. But I often stop at just reading. 

Nathan and I want to start a home church with people on our street. So far we don't know anybody who is Christian on our street. How will we do this? We haven't figured it out yet. But we keep praying. Eventually we have to LIVE out what we see Jesus doing. Ugh I feel so lost on how to do this.

Here are the verses I was talking about:

Jesus Sends Out the Twelve

9 When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2 and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3 He told them: “Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt. 4 Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. 5 If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.” 6 So they set out and went from village to village, proclaiming the good news and healing people everywhere.
7 Now Herod the tetrarch heard about all that was going on. And he was perplexed because some were saying that John had been raised from the dead, 8 others that Elijah had appeared, and still others that one of the prophets of long ago had come back to life. 9 But Herod said, “I beheaded John. Who, then, is this I hear such things about?” And he tried to see him.


1 comment:

  1. Here is some inspiration for you.

    http://www.therecord.com/news-story/2590569-duke-street-couple-s-weekly-potlucks-create-sense-of-community/

    ReplyDelete