Thursday, 10 July 2014

JULY 10, 2014 - DAY 30 (pride VS humility)

Today I listened to sermon 3 of 45 on the book of Luke. The pastor went through Mary visiting Elizabeth and her song. The gist of the song is that God honours humble people and opposes proud people. Here are the verses. Read them carefully and note the parts about humbleness and the parts about pride.
Mary’s Song (Luke 1:46-55)
46 And Mary said:
“My soul glorifies the Lord
47     and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has been mindful
    of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49     for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
    holy is his name.
50 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
    from generation to generation.
51 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
    he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
    but has lifted up the humble.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things
    but has sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
    remembering to be merciful
55 to Abraham and his descendants forever,
    just as he promised our ancestors.”

Pride is a constant theme for me right now. I KNOW I'm prideful and sometimes I feel bad about it and other times I don't. Which is of course scary because God opposes the proud....which would be me. I don't want to be proud but sometimes it is so hard not to be. My desire is to be a humble person. A TRULY humble person. Not somebody who talks as if they're humble but really not. I want to be truly humble. This will likely mean that daily I give my pride to the Lord and ask for help and forgiveness. I hope in times of pride the Holy Spirit reveals to me I'm being prideful and can help me to repent and take a different approach. So with that in mind....all I can do now is go spend time in prayer. I don't want to listen to a sermon and read some verses and think "That's nice. I desire that!" and then do nothing about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment