I finished reading 1 and 2 Peter recently and decided I should go back to one of the Gospels to get to know Jesus again. He has a lot of hard sayings and I need to know who exactly I am following. I want to KNOW God without thinking I know him. I don't want a washed down version of Jesus....so I figured I better re-read at least one of the gospels to re-get to know him.
So I found a very LONG sermon series (45 sermons!) on the book of Luke done by Matt Chandler at the Village church in Dallas. It took their church over a year to go through this one book. I plan to do a sermon a day...or almost every day and finish the series in 2 months. I want to know the book of Luke well....and therefore hopefully get to know Jesus better.
I listened to my first sermon today on Luke 1 - the introduction section. Matt points out that Luke was a skeptic. Books had already been written by others about Jesus and Luke had to investigate EVERYTHING for himself in order to know the truth. Once he found out the truth, he thought it would also be good to write his own letter to his friend about the findings.
Skeptics are welcome. Many people may hear the good news about Jesus and believe right away in the truth. Other people need to go through searching and investigations before they believe. It's okay. They're still ending up at the same place.
Although I am not a skeptic in terms of my belief in Jesus....I do need to investigate lots in order to know what I believe. I had to look A LOT into what the Bible says about healing because I was skeptical about it. I also had to look into it about what it says about the Holy Spirit too. Some topics for me just require more investigating than other topics. Sometimes I hear new truth and I can believe it right away. But other times...not. So this may be true of people hearing the Gospel message itself.
Anyway I think it's neat that Luke looked into Jesus and the stories about him and made sure it was all real. He didn't blindly believe but chose to believe once he discovered the truth for himself. This is good news for many out there who aren't sure what they believe and are skeptical.
No comments:
Post a Comment