Today I listened to a sermon on 2 Peter 3:1-10 and then proceeded to read the rest of chapter 3. The whole chapter is about how Jesus is returning one day and people will try to sway us into believing that he isn't coming back. If we get to a point where we believe he isn't coming back then we may allow our lives to become corrupt instead of holy.
Honestly though, who TRULY lives as though Jesus is coming back? Not many. OR at least we don't live as if he is coming back in our day.
I thought about this and it made me sad to think of those I know who don't know Jesus. If he comes back and they don't know him...they will live eternally away from him. I was also reminded of the fact that they could die any day and again, if they don't know Jesus, this is sad. I know it's my responsibility to tell my family and friends who are not Christian about Jesus and what he did for us. I also realize it is my responsibility to be praying for them daily. God showed me that I'm playing Russian Roulette with their souls. Everyday is a new squeeze of the trigger. Will there be a bullet this time? If they die, that's the day the bullet came out of the gun. (Not literally, just metaphorically). If Jesus returns and they don't know Jesus, that's the day the bullet comes out. BUT if they survive to live another day, they dodged the bullet. So this is the issue. EVERY DAY is a new chance for the bullet to come out. Every day is a new day where somebody could die or Jesus could return. I realize it is not my responsibility for them to become Christians. It is their choice. But it is my responsibility to tell them about Jesus and to pray for them.
Can I say I've told them about Jesus - REALLY told them? No. Can I say that I've been praying for them faithfully without wasting my time watching TV or browsing the internet? No.
Today's reading was a good wake up call. Jesus will return like a thief in the night and I don't want to be caught sleeping and unprepared. I also don't want my loved ones to be caught off guard and not know who he is.
No comments:
Post a Comment