Friday, 4 July 2014

JULY 4, 2014 - DAY 24 (white washed tombs)

Matthew 23: 27-28 -  “Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

Tonight I was reminded of these verses. It made me think about if I'm being a hypocrite by being righteous on the outside but wicked on the inside. So I sat down with God and as hard as it to hear, I asked God to show me the areas where I am wicked when on the outside I appear righteous. There were definitely a few to name. The main things are 

-pride
-judgement
-appearing to be somebody I'm not (I tend to clean my house when people are coming over more than when they're not coming over.....I say I'm doing well when I'm not....I put on more make-up around others, etc.)

And on the list goes.

I always want to appear good. The reality is that I don't even want to let go of my pride because it makes me feel good. I know I can't boast about anything but somehow I still do, even if just in my head, and I feel good. I shouldn't get that feeling from pride. I should get that feeling from knowing God loves me DESPITE me.

Anyway, I don't want to appear to be something I'm not. Sometimes I'll even be the person who admits faults and failures SO that I appear like a humble person. It's ridiculous. Oh God help me.

One of my favourite verses in the Bible is:

Philippians 1:6 - "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

Thank God there is hope for me and you and all of us. Thankfully God doesn't leave us be and expect us to clean up our own act. Thankfully he is working on us. Of course we won't be perfect until we reach Heaven....but I REALLY hope that as God works on me, it'll be obvious in my life. Each year I hope to love more. Each year I hope to be more patient. Each year I hope to be less prideful. I don't always see what I'm looking for but perhaps I'm looking too soon and not looking back 10 years. Am I more like Christ today than 5 years ago, I think so. Although sometimes it doesn't feel like it. Anyway, I have got to look at the big picture and not just day to day. I am hoping to see solid results in this year experiment with God.

Anyway, that's it. What areas in your life are hidden and wicked? Are you a hypocrite? Do you appear righteous on the outsider but have hidden sin on the inside? If so, it's time to admit it and ask God for help and to confess your sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment