Tuesday, 1 July 2014

JULY 1, 2014 - DAY 21

So I went over the virtues again in 2 Peter 1 (goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, love) and wrote out what I think they mean. I started this 2 days ago but needed to finish. What I'm left confused with is verse 8

"For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."

What does "in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ" mean? I don't know! I assumed the virtues in increasing measure would mean keeping us from being ineffective and unproductive in ministry in life. That if we possess these qualities in increasing measure we'll be doing God's work more. But maybe it means knowing God more. I definitely need to look this up to find out. I'll have to do this later though.

I went on to finish chapter 1 which Peter talks about how he didn't teach his audience about Jesus by making anything up. He was an eye-witness to the events in which he taught them. But better yet, the Old Testament points to Jesus coming and he fulfilled all of the prophecies that were given in the OT. Peter says that between his eye-witness accounts of Jesus and the OT prophecies coming true in Jesus, the audience can be sure that Peter was teaching them truth compared to false teachers of their day.

In chapter 2 Peter talks about what a false teacher looks like. What's interesting to me is that the false teacher seems blatantly false. I assumed a false teacher may live what looks like a godly life and teach some truth, but twist some of it just enough for people to believe them. But chapter 2 makes it seem like the false teachers are blatantly false and their lifestyle will show it. This was interesting to me. I thought it would be harder to spot a false teacher. But Peter says their lives will be corrupt in broad daylight. Interesting.

Anyway, next I decided I need to pray. Because just reading the Bible without prayer seems at least to me like it is lacking. As I realized I should pray, I wanted to avoid it. Just like I've wanted to avoid my hour each day. Does this come down to pride and idols again? The answer that came to me is that I'm viewing God differently than he is. I HAVE to know that God is good. That is he love. That he doesn't want to condemn. But I run because I'm afraid because I sin. But that's stupid because God knows that and loves me anyway. I don't know why I still struggle to believe God in who he says he is. I obviously need to spend more time with him getting to know the real him. Because if I believed God in who he says he is, I'd want to spend all the time I have with him. What a shame where I am. Time to go pray and spend time WITH God. I need to encounter Him so I understand who he actually is and not who I've chosen to believe he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment