Luke 10:38-42 - As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
What is truly needed in life? Obviously things NEED to get done. People are called to work. We need to eat. We have to buy groceries in order to eat. It seems like a good idea to clean your house and clothes and to bathe regularly. If you have kids you need to take care of them. If you're married you should put time and effort into your marriage. But what about God?
I love the story about Mary and Martha because of the reality that only ONE thing is TRULY needed and that is to be with God. So when I choose to watch TV instead of sit at God's feet....I'm choosing the wrong one. In the evening if I haven't spent quality time with God yet that day and the dishes still need to be done...only one thing is needed. This is hard for me. I hate going to bed with a messy house or dishes still dirty. But ONE thing is needed.
One struggle I have with my thyroid issue is exhaustion. I sleep more than the average person right now. I would struggle to get up early, I'd be emotional if I don't nap and I don't go to bed late. But somehow I need to figure out how to balance it all. Sometimes I listen to a sermon while I do the dishes or take a bath. A girl has got to bathe and the dishes need to get done. But sometimes I need to just be still before God. This includes choosing less sleep in order to spend time with God. Like I said, since I have a medical condition right now that leaves me exhausted ON TOP of being pregnant and chasing around a toddler all day, it is the ONE thing NEEDED. I NEED to spend time with God. A few months ago God told me he made the body and therefore he can sustain me if need be. And he did the next day when I should of been totally exhausted. It was awesome. So perhaps I need to get over my thought that I HAVE to sleep during certain times and spend more time with God. Maybe I'll have MORE energy!
Anyway, only one thing is needed in life. Are you doing the ONE thing that is needed? If not, why?
No comments:
Post a Comment