Sunday, 27 July 2014

JULY 27, 2014 - DAY 47 (Questions)

Tonight I was reading 2 chapters in The End of Religion and it left me with some questions.

1) Was it difficult for the disciples to go from a very religious upbringing (Jewish religion/culture) to the relationship with Jesus? Was it hard for them to let go of their religion?

I pondered this as I thought about my religious spirit. How did the disciples get rid of their religion? Because they didn't just stop doing rituals and following rules, etc. they would of had to change their mindset. So the next question is:

2) Did the disciples go from a religious lifestyle to a relationship lifestyle because they encountered Jesus or was it with the help of the Holy Spirit or both? Or maybe something else??

I wondered because I still have some religious thoughts and tendencies I need to let go of. Will I let go of these more and more as I encounter Jesus more and more? I hope so.

I THINK I'm becoming less religious as I spend more time with God....but I also tend to look at things I still struggle with as opposed to the things God has worked on in me. So by focusing on the negative things I still see how religious I can be. Well it's good to be aware of shortcomings and what God can still work on....these shortcomings don't define me and I should celebrate what God has done and is doing in my life.

Another question that came up for me is...

3) How can I KNOW God?

I wonder because there is a difference between reading about God and knowing ABOUT him and actually KNOWING him. I can read about a celebrity but not know them.

So the obvious answer the question 3 is by talking with God and having a relationship. Well this led to question #4...

4) How do I talk with God and hear his voice?

It's easy to talk TO God but to listen for him is hard.

I find it easier to hear God when I sit down and am still and have no distractions and can write down stuff. But in everyday life when I am out and about and want to hear God but can't just sit down and be silent....I don't hear him often! So this is something me and God have to figure out. Well....maybe I need to figure it out and he already knows! haha.

Anyway....lot of questions tonight and lots more thinking, praying, seeking to find the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment