Thursday, 3 July 2014

JULY 3, 2014 - DAY 23 (The End of Religion)

So I've been thinking about religion lately. Why is it as a Christian I feel so bogged down when Jesus didn't come to condemn me? Obviously I've been believing lies from the Devil.

At the park today I talked with an acquaintance of mine. I bring my son to the park and we meet up when she brings her daycare kids. I know she is Christian and from a very conservative reformed church. Today when she asked me what church I go to, I knew I was opening up a can of worms. I told her my husband used to be the youth pastor at a local church but after he left we have been attending a new church at the local strip club on Sunday afternoons. She had heard about the church and was surprisingly not judgemental in her response. I don't know what she was thinking but at least what she spoke was positive. I also mentioned that since it's summer we're away a lot on weekends to visit family or friends out of town and haven't been as committed to church as we normally are. Then came THE comment (along the words of...) "Oh we put church first before family." I don't think she intentionally meant to hurt me and was just making comment but it was the judgemental comment I was waiting for. I realize I was being judgemental in expecting a judgemental response.

ANYWAY her comment didn't hurt me at all. In fact it made me happy knowing that I don't HAVE to attend church in order to be close to God. Just because I choose to visit family instead of going to church one week does not mean family comes before God. God is always first. Or at least that's my aim. Her comment seemed very religious to me. I'm done with religion.

I realize my thoughts of God being a condemning God is religious and I'm sick of religion. I'm sick of the burden I feel like I have to carry when in fact Jesus already carried it. 

So for my hour I thought I would read a book I borrowed from my mother-in-law called "The End of Religion" by Bruxy Cavey. I have read it before but pretty much forget all of it. I'm ready to read it again. BUT here comes the relgious part that slips into my life from time to time. As my hour started my first thought was "Can I count reading this book as my hour? Shouldn't I be reading the Bible because it is more important?" RELIGIOUS! Of course God can use another book beside the Bible and it is still good. I realize no book is on the same level as the Bible and that's okay. God still uses them. So I read and it was good.

I read the intro and first chapter and just enjoy the fact of how irreligious Jesus is. 

Matthew 11: 28-30 - “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Yes I will have some of that thank you. 

I don't feel the need to go into what I read in the book. Mainly because it's date night and my husband is waiting for me and I don't want to write any more. So for now I'm signing off and enjoying my liberty in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment